Frequently Asked Questions

Service Coordination

How do I apply for services? Back to top ?
If you believe a family member has an intellectual disability or a related disability such as autism, please call the intake and referral line toll-free at 1-800-289-7012.This toll-free line is staffed during normal business hours; however messages can be left at any time with calls returned in the next two business days. If the applicant meets screening criteria, he/she will be provided with a list of available service coordination or early intervention (SC/EI) providers.
How will a Service Coordinator help me? Back to top ?
A Service Coordinator will guide you through the eligibility process through the SC Department of Disabilities and Special Needs (DDSN). Once your family member is eligible for services, your Service Coordinator will help you determine the services that you need and will assist you in applying for those services. Your Service Coordinator will provide you with a list of helpful and commonly used resources.
How can I get a break? Back to top ?
Respite services are available to families who have a higher level of need. Respite services are available through local family support funding or the CS, HASCI and ID/RD Waiver programs for those who qualify. Contact your Service Coordinator, Service Coordination Supervisor or Director of Family Supports for more information.
What are Family Support Funds and how do I qualify? Back to top ?
Family Support Funds provide assistance to families in caring for an SCDDSN eligible person in order to avoid out-of-home placement. This service is directed toward individuals and families who can care for themselves or their family member at home, but incur additional expenses due to the person’s disability. Family Support Funds is not an entitlement program or a general public assistance benefit. Allocation of funding will be prioritized to assist individuals and families with the greatest needs that, if not provided are likely to result in out-of-home placement. Financial information is required when applying for Family Support Funds in order to demonstrate that the cost of services and supports is above the families’ ability to pay and that the family meets established income guidelines for this funding. Family Support Funds are time limited. Persons participating in the Home and Community Based Programs are not eligible for Family Support Funds. Family Support Funds are most frequently used for respite, medical care and assistive technology needs. For more information and availability of Family Support Funds, please contact your Early Interventionist, Service Coordinator or Service Coordination Supervisor at 803-628-5999.
What is a waiver? How do I get it? Back to top ?
A Waiver is a provision in the Federal Medicaid guidelines that allows people who meet specific criteria the opportunity to receive services and supports that enable them to live in their community or at home with their families. There are four types of waivers administered by SCDDSN: Intellectual Disabilities/Related Disabilities (ID/RD) Waiver, Head and Spinal Cord Injuries (HASCI) Waiver, Community Supports Waiver (CSW) and the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) Waiver.Section 1915(c) of the Federal Social Security Act enables the SC Department of Health and Human services to collaborate with the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs (SCDDSN) to provide Home and Community-Based Waiver programs.Waiver participants can receive Medicaid-funded services and supports in their own home and other community settings instead of in a nursing facility or institution. The cost of Medicaid Waiver services must be less expensive than or equal to the costs of institutional care.Contact your Service Coordinator to be placed on the waiting list for the waiver program for which you best qualify. See our page on Waivers for more information.
Are there waiting lists for services? Back to top ?
Yes. There are waiting lists for all of the waiver programs, residential programs and day service programs. For those needing residential services, the waiting lists are prioritized by those who have the most critical need for service.The HASCI Waiver and ID/RD waiver programs have a critical and regular waiting list for services. Slots are provided off of the critical waiting list before moving to the regular waiting list. The CSW and PDD Waiver waiting lists do not differentiate between critical and regular lists.
My Service Coordinator never calls me anymore. Shouldn’t she be calling me on a regular basis? Back to top ?
For those receiving Level 2 Service Coordination, there is no requirement for bi-monthly contact, 6 month plan reviews and annual plan development. As needs arise, please contact your Service Coordinator, Service Coordination Supervisor or Director of Family Supports for assistance.
Why does the intake process take so long? Back to top ?
As part of the intake process, records are gathered to determine the type and onset of disability for which you are applying for services. At times additional testing is recommended to determine if you qualify for services. For those pursuing eligibility under the Autism Division, if an autism evaluation is needed from the CARE Center, there is typically a 6-12 month wait for these evaluations.


Do you have vacancies at York County Board of DSN? Back to top ?
Yes, please refer to the job posting liston this website.
How do I apply for your positions? Back to top ?
Applications can be submitted at the Administration Building located at 7900 Park Place Road in York between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm. You will be asked to take a survey which should last up to 20 minutes after you complete your application. A candidate can also apply at the SC Workforce Center on Fincher Road in Rock Hill. You will be asked to come to the administrative office to complete your survey. You can also fill out a job inquiry, which is available on this website.
What happens to my application once I apply? Back to top ?
Written correspondence will be provided to determine if a candidate will be considered further after an application has been processed. If there is an address change after an application is placed, the correspondence will be returned to the Agency.
What are the hours for part-time positions? Back to top ?
Many of the part-time positions are weekend (Saturday & Sunday) – either 8am–8pm or 8pm–8am. There are a few part-time positions during the week between the core hours of 8:30 am and 3:30 pm. For openings, please refer to our job listings.
Is there a training program? Back to top ?
Employees applying for positions are required to attend training if offered employment. For all positions, except Respite or Temporary Community employees, there is a 90 day training program. The program for Temporary Community employees is shorter and can be completed within the 1st month of training.
Is formal classroom training offered during the day? Back to top ?
Yes – once hired, you will have access to the training calendar which is located within the employee section of this website.
Is online training available? Back to top ?
YCBDSN’s training requires classroom attendance. There will be “specialty” training available online from time to time, but the orientation process is all classroom.
Is it paid training? Back to top ?
Yes, it is paid at a training wage.
What benefits do you offer employees? Back to top ?
Dependent upon the classification, the following benefits are offered:

  • Temporary positions – no benefits are offered other than those required; the employee can opt to participate in the retirement program upon hire.
  • Part-time positions – employees in this classification are required to participate in retirement.
  • Full time positions – in addition to retirement, employees in this classification are eligible for all benefits to include insurance programs, leave/holiday, and 401K all of which have waiting periods. There are required benefits that would apply to all positions.
What are the qualifications for your positions? Back to top ?
Positions and qualifications vary. Entry level positions require a High School Diploma/GED. Other positions require either a 2 or 4 year degree (or one is preferred). Experience is required for supervisory positions. All positions require a valid SC/NC driver’s license.
If employed, are there other requirements to be met? Back to top ?
All employees hired or volunteering are to successfully meet all screening requirements prior to reporting to work. They include: 2 work references, Central Registry Checks, CMS Excluded List Checks and background checks, i.e. South Carolina Law Enforcement (SLED) checks, background checks from states lived in within the past 10 years. In some cases FBI checks are performed. The employee/volunteer provides the level of education required for the position. A physical, drug screen, 2 step tuberculin skin test, copy of valid driver’s license and driving record are required. Other items are required when the employee reports.
What if I am hired for a respite (temporary community position), would the above apply? Back to top ?
Does York County Board of DSN utilize interns and if so what programs? Back to top ?
Some majors that interest the Family Supports service area include Social Work, Elementary Education, Special Education, etc. Residential & Vocational Support Program service areas utilize interns with majors in Human Services, i.e. Psychology, Sociology, etc. Other service areas where interns can be utilized are Finance, Nursing and Human Resources.
Are intern requirements the same as other employees? Back to top ?
Are the internships paid? Back to top ?
It varies – most are unpaid.
What incentives do you offer employees? Back to top ?
We offer an excellent benefits package, service awards, and employee recognition functions. Some of our employees are students and can only work certain days; there are temporary positions that may work better with their schedules. Employees who are interested in advancing within the Agency and meet necessary qualifications can discuss opportunities with supervision for succession within the Agency.